1 ¼ cups ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda
¾ cup cornstarch
¾ cup water
Parchment or wax paper
Rolling pin or flat object (such as a plate)
Clear sealant (optional)
- In a pot, mix clay ingredients (ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda, cornstarch, and water) together and set on the stove over medium heat.
- When the clay turns into a soft texture, like mashed potatoes, remove pot from heat to keep from drying out.
- Remove the clay from the pot and cover with a damp cloth to cool for 15 minutes.
- Once the clay is cooled, roll between two pieces of parchment paper to create a round of clay that is about 1 centimeter thick (any thicker and they tend to crack easily) and large enough to fit your child’s hand (or dog’s paw!).
- Press child’s hand firmly into the clay disc.
- Use a straw to put two holes above the handprint for the ribbon.
- To decorate with glitter, use a paintbrush to paint glue over clay. Tap the ornament to remove excess glitter.
- (Optional) When the ornament is completely dry, spray with a sealant or coat in Mod Podge to ensure that it stays intact.
- Thread the ribbon through the holes you made in the ornament, tie the two ends together, and enjoy your masterpiece!