Our resolutions may vary but, across the board, sticking to them seems to be the one thing we all have problems with... Here is what the experts suggest we need do to make them work:
1. Be reasonable: Aim high, but not impossible to achieve.
2. Make sure you're invested: Choose a resolution that you actually care about so that you stay interested.
3. Make your resolution as specific as possible: You have to set concrete goals that are clearly defined and not impossible to achieve.
4. Set small goals that you can celebrate along your journey: Small successes keep you motivated.
5. Make your progress measurable: You have to be able to measure your achievements to keep yourself motivated and on track.
For more help (NY Times)