Coconut oil is a very handy for much more than cooking. I upcycled an old sugar jar, I found at a second hand shop, to hold my coconut oil on my bathroom counter. Now it is easy access for a bunch of cosmetic uses. Here are my top five and one I have yet to try because it sounds promising but gross at the same time.
- Lip Balm—Chapped lips or gone and I swear it has left my lips smoother than they have been in ages.
- Makeup Remover--Even the most resistant waterproof mascara doesn't stand a chance against coconut oil. (Dab a cotton ball in the oil and then swipe away the mascara.)
- Moisturizer—Body and face will benefit but it is particularly effective as a primer to soften the skin before applying makeup.
- Frizz tamer--Just rub a bead to dime-size amount in your hands and smooth from mid-shaft to ends for frizz-free style that's high on shine.
- Body Scrub--Mix half a cup of coconut oil with a handful of coarse salt or sugar to create an exfoliater. The moisturizing oil will last long after the grains have melted away.
- A co-worker swears by this one: Gargling for 20 minutes a spoonful to whiten teeth, freshen breath and help make your gums healthy. (Note my co-worker adds it is gross but it completely works.)