Easy Sweet Potato Apple Casserole
It is now the new favorite dish at our family gatherings!
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 3-4 small apples, peeled and sliced (Roughly 2 cups worth) We used Honeycrisp but some tart green apples might be even better.)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 packages instant cinnamon spice or maple brown sugar oatmeal (just the dry packets -- NOT prepared)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temp or melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Pierce the potatoes with a fork on all sides (this will prevent them from exploding!) Wrap each potato in a damp paper towel, place one in the microwave and then cover with a microwave safe bowl. Microwave a potato for 2 minutes, turn it over, and microwave for another 2 minutes. (I had to do an extra 3 minutes.)You want it tender, but not mushy. Repeat with the second potato. Set aside to cool for a few minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, trim the ends and remove peels. Slice into ½-inch rounds.
- Spray an 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix sweet potatoes, apples, granulated sugar, and 2 tsps flour. Pour into baking dish.
- To prepare the topping, stir together oatmeal, pecans, ½ cup flour, brown sugar, melted butter and salt. Sprinkle over the apple/potato mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes, or until apples are very tender. If the topping starts to get too brown before the fruit is done cooking, just cover lightly with foil for the remaining time. (if using the maple oatmeal your dish will be darker.)
That's it! So delicious you could serve with ice-cream and call it a dessert too!