Do you need to go gluten free? The 12 little-known signs that you may have issues.
This is Celiac Awareness Week. When someone has celiac disease their body triggers an immune response to gluten entering their systems. During this process, antibodies are released that damage the lining of their gut and can cause a number of unpleasant symptoms. If you think this maybe you, try changing your diet. However, if you notice an improvement and want to check with your doctor you’ll need to get back on gluten so the doctor’s test will register it.
12 Signs You May Need to go Gluten Free
- Gastrointestinal problems- Nausea, diarrhea, stomach pains and even constipation.
- Mouth ulcers the more severe the more likely you have it.
- Tiredness-your body isn’t getting the right nutrients because of the reaction its having to gluten.
- Skin rashes Or more specifically dermatitis herpetiformis, often referred to as ‘DH’
- Anaemia and vitamin B deficiencies the disease damages the lining of your gut to where your body doesn’t properly absorb nutrients.
- Poor coordination and balance Neurological problems are another surprising symptom
- Weak bones and osteoporosis it can be a long-term complication of the disease if it goes untreated.
- Depression studies have found gut bacteria can have an effect on mood and the disease harms healthy gut bacteria.
- Multiple miscarriages-experts are not fully sure of the reasons for this.
- Sudden weight loss certain symptoms may not manifest until adulthood.
- Hair loss it may just be patchy hair loss as opposed to significant loss.’
- Tooth loss or damage-a little rarer than most and is typically identified in children.